Through this campaign, I’ve been occasionally sending up prayers for President Obama and this nation. But over the next 24 hours of so, I’m committing to public praying for the President and our nation, and it is my hope that you will join me.
I was reminded this weekend that God is not moved by our tears, our fears or our anxiety, but He is moved by His Word. Therefore, when we pray, we should pray God’s Word. Psalm 138:2 says, “for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.” Numbers 23:19 reads, “God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act?Does he promise and not fulfill?” And in Matthew 24:35 Jesus says, “Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.” God’s Word is rooted and true. We must simply speak it.
Let me be clear, I’m not one of those ideologues who feels my party, my candidate or my team has a monopoly on God. However, I do believe that God chooses our leaders (Romans 13:1-2; Daniel 2:21; Psalm 75:6-7), we should respect our leaders (Romans 13:1-2), we should pray for our leaders (1 Timothy 2:1-3), and that lying, deception and manipulation are wrong despite their place of origin (John 8:44), It is through this lens that I have decided to publicly pray for President Obama and this nation. So my prayer is twofold: 1) that God’s will is done in this election and 2) that lies, deception and manipulation are defeated (e.g. voter suppression, misinformation from the campaigns, etc.).
Below are a number of scriptures that can be prayed. You will definitely see them come across my social media pages throughout the day. I hope you will join me as I send up #Prayers for Obama. 🙂
- Matthew 6:10 — Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
- Isaiah 54:17 — No weapon formed against you shall prosper, and every tongue which rises against you in judgment You shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is from Me,” says the Lord.
- Romans 12:21 — Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
- 1 John 3:8-9 — For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.
- Philippians 1:6 — being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
- Isaiah 59:19 — So shall they fear the name of the Lord from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord shall lift up a standard against him.
- Jeremiah 1:19 — And they shall fight against thee; but they shall not prevail against thee; for I am with thee, saith the Lord, to deliver thee.
- Psalm 27:14 — Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.
- Joshua 1:9 — Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
- Isaiah 40:8 — The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.
- Isaiah 54:14 — In righteousness shalt thou be established: thou shalt be far from oppression; for thou shalt not fear: and from terror; for it shall not come near thee.
- 1 Samuel 12:22 — For the Lord will not forsake his people for his great name’s sake: because it hath pleased the Lord to make you his people.
- Matthew 16:18 — and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
- Psalm 91 — Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.[a] 2 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” 3 Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence. 4 He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. 5 You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, 6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. 7 A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you. 8 You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked. 9 If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,” and you make the Most High your dwelling, 10 no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent. 11 For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; 12 they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. 13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent. 14 “Because he[b] loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. 15 He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. 16 With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.”
- Jude 1:24 — Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
- Ephesians 3:20 — Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,