My mom used to have an obsession with Babyface, so it was only natural that my sister and I knew all of their music backwards and forward. Back when they were a part of the R&B group The Deele, our favorite song was “Shoot ‘Em Up Movies.” My sister and I would watch that video over and over. We would even play the record (yes, record, not CD) over and over while reacting the video and using bananas as our guns. Those were good times.
Fiending for some good R&B music, I looked the video up on YouTube, and to my surprise, I was thoroughly amused. That video was better than any sketch comedy I’d seen since Saturday Night Live’s 2008 election coverage. After watching I was left with a few questions:
- How many grown men do you know who go to the movies with their four boys? Come on, son!!!
- The whole scenario is completely unrealistic. How do you end up making out with the popcorn girl in the back of the movies?
- The only thing worse than the script is the acting! It’s comedic at best. Makes Beyonce look like an Oscar winner.
- Did you see L.A. Reid (of LaFace Records, Arista Records, Outkast, TLC, Toni Braxton, Aaron Reid’s daddy fame) on the drums? How did he get his hair that straight? I need tips, man!
- What are the names of the other three guys in the group? And where are they now?
- And why does the lead singer’s make-up look better than mine and the girl in the video? Can I get his make-up artist’s phone number?